Yorkshire in Bloom is a competition that is run by the Royal Horticultural Society, to encourage environmental awareness by all sort of organisations. The Middleton Railway was encouraged to enter it for the first time in 2018, and was delighted to have won a Gold Award in the category for Tourist Attractions (despite the setback caused by the fire at a neighbouring builder's merchants, only two days before the competition was due to be judged).
The judges made some useful suggestions for how we might improve, and so we entered again in 2019, and we are delighted that we have again won a Gold Award in the category for Tourist Attractions.
The judges obviously enjoyed the whole of their visit, as they said "What an experience this was, the passion of the team is absolutely infectious. the history and heritage is wonderful. Well organised, fantastic interpretation." For the floral displays themselves they said "The planting around the station is wonderful, well cared for and all adds to the overall experience.". They particularly liked the newly planted area in front of the entrance to the Engine House.
Other pages provide more information about:
- other attractions as part of a visit to our railway;
- how to find our railway;
- Our train services;
- highlights of our museum collection;
- railway-themed DVDs and videos (including ones of events that we have run);
- railway-themed books (including the railway's history and stock list);
- the book "Bert's Tales of Middleton";
- other kinds of souvenirs;
- our museum collection;
- our portfolio of development projects; and
- how you could get involved.