Historical note: The Smith family of Rodley started building cranes in 1840, and Thomas Smith took over the company in 1861 on the death of his father. The company was taken over by T W Ward of Sheffield in 1939, but continued to trade as a subsidiary. It was taken over again by Northern Engineering Industries in 1978, and eventually ceased manufacturing.
|Built||1954 as a steam crane by Thomas Smith, at Leeds. Converted by them to a diesel crane in 1968.|
|Load capacity||5 tons|
|Jib length||35' (approximately 10.6 metres)|
|Previously worked||Supplied originally to Hull docks. Acquired from there by the Kent and East Sussex Railway in 1971.|
|Entered collection||Purchased from the Kent and East Sussex Railway in 2012|
More details of this vehicle are given in our stockbook.
Go back to Smith 10-ton crane.
Other pages provide more information about: