Leeds Diesels on Display 2018
Our summer gala event, entitled "Leeds Diesels on Display", was due to be held on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th July 2018, and to feature most of our fleet of Leeds-built diesel locomotives, viz:
- HE 1697 "John Alcock";
- HC D1373 "MD&HB No. 45";
- HC D577 "Mary"; and
- HC D631 "Carroll" (on Saturday only).
Unfortunately, after the event had run successfully on Saturday 14th, Jewson's Builders Merchants suffered a major arson attack that evening, and was burnt out. At the request of the Fire Brigade we therefore had to cancel the Sunday of this event. We also suffered, in that our Palvan was partly burnt out: see the separate page which gives more details of this.
The event also featured a variety of operating patterns, including single-headed and double-headed working, and trains with a locomotive at each end.
On both days a special timetable was intended to operate, providing intensive services, with the details planned to vary between Saturday and Sunday, as follows.
- On Saturday trains ran over both our main passenger line and the little-used Balm Road branch. Two train sets were in operation, one a passenger train and the other a goods train where passengers were able to ride in the brake van.
- On Sunday trains were only planned to run over our main passenger line, between Moor Road and Park Halt, with just the passenger train set in operation.
The first train departed at around 10.30 am and the last one arrived at around 4.30 pm. Full details of the timetable can be accessed as pdf files, which will each open in a new browser tab or window (ready to be downloaded), as follows.
- Public timetable for Saturday;
- Public timetable for Sunday;
- Detailed operating timetable for Saturday;
- Detailed operating timetable for Sunday.
Special fares applied for each day, namely £7 for an adult, £3 for a child and £18 for a family ticket (covering up to 2 adults and 3 children). The various travel concessions that apply to our normal train services did not apply for this event.
As well as our normal range of refreshments, including hot and cold drinks and sweets, we had a range of sandwiches available on each day.
Other Previous Events
Return to the page for previous events.
Other pages of our web site will provide more information about:
- Welcome to the railway;
- What we offer for visitors;
- Our train services;
- Our calendar of special events;
- How to find us.