Heritage Diesel Services
We have an interesting collection of heritage diesel locomotives (ie pre-1950s), one of which is illustrated below, and these services are arranged specially to give you opportunities to see some of them running.
For each of these heritage diesel days the normal timetable and fares will apply, and on each day one of the locomotives will be in operation. We shall only be fixing which locomotive will be operating on each day a short time in advance, once we can be reasonably certain that we will be able to operate the advertised locomotive, which does depend both on the locomotives themselves and on the availability of suitably qualified crew.
We have six heritage diesel days scheduled for 2019, as follows.
- Saturday 13th April 2019 (as part of our Community Day), but problems with availability meant that we had to use a 1950s locomotive.
- Saturday 11th May 2019, when we are planning to use HE 1697 (LMS 7051).
- Saturday 8th June 2019, when we are planning to use HE 1697 (LMS 7051).
- Saturday 10th August 2019.
- Saturday 14th September 2019 (as part of the Heritage Open Day).
- Saturday 12th October 2019.
We do not expect to arrange any others this year.
HE 1697 John Alcock (LMS 7051) on a special train at the Gala event for the 50th anniversary of the preservation of the Middleton Railway, in 2010.
Picture © Tony Cowling 2010.
Please note that, while every effort will be made to run the scheduled locomotive(s) on each day, we can not guarantee to be able to do so, and the Railway reserves the right to alter, cancel or suspend any train without notice. No liability is accepted for any loss, inconvenience or delay caused, either by having to operate with an alternative locomotive or by any alteration cancellation or suspension of the Railway's train services.
More information can be found: